promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 month ago

Why did married couples 👩‍❤️‍👨sleep in separate beds 🛌 during the early and mid 1900s?

I’ve watched the Andy Griffith show and most if not all of the married 👩‍❤️‍👨couples on there sleep in separate ⬅️➡️ beds 🛏 this has very much confused 🤷🏼‍♀️ me.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Megumi
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

That is merely TV fiction. In real life, couples slept together. TV was prudish when should shows were made. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They should still do that.

• Megumi
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Why should they? It is terribly unrealistic. 

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most married couples did not sleep in twin beds, but the censor ship at the time dictated that they could not sleep in double beds, because guess what people do in double beds? This applied to films of the time as well.

• Teresa
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You could sleep in the same bed, but you had to have one foot on the floor!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Most married people didn't but TV wasn't allowed to show that.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

To stop the government from censoring films and television, the industry adopted a set of rules known as the Hays Code.

Crime and immorality could never be portrayed in a positive light. If someone performed an immoral act, they had to be punished on screen. Certain films were changed in script to meet this requirement. No detail of crime could be shown if imitated, such as how to open a safe.

Nudity and overt portrayals and references to sexual behavior (even between consenting adults) could not be shown.

Although depicting men and women in bed together wasn't strictly forbidden—it was in the "be careful" section, rather than the "don't" section. It was necessary in all romantic scenes for a woman to have at least one foot on the floor, to prevent love scenes in bed.  Separate beds became a standard.

Religion could never be depicted in a mocking manner.

Drug use, including alcohol consumption, could not be shown unless the plot called for it.

Topics considered "perverse" could not be discussed or depicted in any way. Such topics included—but were not limited to— homosexuality, miscegenation (interracial relationships), bestiality, and venereal diseases. 

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes...

• 1 month ago

On TV it was thaught to be improper back then, I always slept in the same bed as my wife. 

• 1 month ago

It was actually a TV censorship issue. It was not considered proper.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

it was before toilet paper was invented, and believe me, you didn't want to share a bed with anyone back then. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Tina
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The first commercially produced toilet paper was available in 1857, and before that other arrangements - including *washing* were available.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It was considered improper to show couples in bed together. Shows were not allowed to do it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.