promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

How would you change the criminal justice system and what should its role be (punishment, rehabilitation)?

I think its role should be to provide restitution first and to punish the criminal second.

If I held the reigns, people would not rot in prison, you'd either get a fine, a beating, or executed. Most incarcerated people would be in jail, awaiting trial, whereas prisons would house those already convicted of capital crimes until they've exhausted their appeals.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In the 1800's , in Pa, there was a prison that had a 0% recidivism rate

of course liberals didn't like it, so got that prison shut down

It offered sentences that were far shorter than any other prison in america

but prisoners were kept in solitary for the entire sentence, except for one hour of exercise per day

prisoners had no reading material in their cells except bibles

after one year of good behavior, the prisoners were taught a trade and were given jobs after their sentence was completed

not a single person ever sent to that prison was ever arrested again

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Take it OUT of corporate hands.

• 2 months ago

1) Try more adults as juveniles. 2) Separate guilt or innocence from the penalty. 3) Stop Trump from interfering.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Prisons will always be warehouses for the chronic mis-fits of society and the citizens who are entrenched in the criminal life.

Double the pay for correctional officers.  hire more of them, bring back the benefits (decent pensions, retirement) that kept many going to work in a (largely) thankless job for years. Eliminate 12 hour shifts and the piece of s-hit 28 day pay cycle that takes away overtime (often compulsory overtime) when an officer calls out before the pay period ends. Invest money in fixing aging damaged prison structures.

When state governments start treating the job like it's actually a valuable public service prisons will retain staff, get quality hires, not the drop shot kind that can't find any other kind of work and are only there because they are about to get kicked off the Temporary public assistance programs. The bad rap that correction officers get is largely the fault of state legislatures that don't want to fund a vital part of their Criminal justice system.

Happy staff means happier inmates and safer prisons for everyone who works inside of them or are incarcerated.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I would decriminalise all narcotics and use the wasted resources to raise the clear up rate for serious crimes.  I would stop the warehousing of prisoners and only incarcerate those who commit violent offences.  I would end the ridiculous third strike rule.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.