promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it rude to tell someone that they don't eem genuine?

Whenever I go o Forever21, the sales associates always say "oh that looks beautiful on you. It's a great color and goes with your complexion."

So an associate said that to me Saturday but for some reason it seemed fake so I told here "I'm sorry but you don't seem genuine when you say that." She ended up backing off with her compliments.

Was I rude? Btw, a customer agreed with me.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Erm, didn't Forever 21 go bankrupt in November 2019 and close all their stores?

• Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't think you spoke with a Sale Associate in Forever 21 on Saturday.

In Sept. 2019, Forever 21, filed for bankruptcy and closed between 300 and 350 stores, including as many as 178 stores in the  U.S.  

The company, which had 549 U.S. stores and 251 stores in other countries, continued to operate in Mexico and Latin America. 

If your story is true and you DID speak to a Sales Associate in a Forever 21 store in the manner you indicated you did, you were VERY rude to her! 

The Sales Associate was just doing her job of telling customers that they look good in an outfit they're considering purchasing, in order to convince customers to buy outfits that are sold in their store.  All you had to do was smile and say "Thank you", even if you thought she was paying you a fake compliment. 

Would you rather she had said, "You look like something the cat drug in; and that outfit makes you look like you're wearing a burlap bag". 

• ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      19 hours agoReport

Coco Puff:  It wasn't a "her"?  In your question, you referred to the sales associate as "her" and "she".

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

• 2 months ago

Yes, you were rude. It's her job to tell customers they look good. You don't have to believe her, but you don't have to throw her words back in her teeth either.

Bear in mind that even if you thought she didn't 'seem genuine', maybe she actually WAS!

It seems to be a constant theme on Yahoo, I believe almost entirely from Americans, that if someone says something to you, you feel obliged to give them a meaningful and profound answer. Well - DON'T! Learn to smile and say 'Oh thanks' without feeling you have to bare your heart to them.

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

My very simple and (I thought) easy-to-understand point was that it's not always necessary to say anything meaningful back to someone who has merely made a casual comment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes - very rude.

Of course the sales people tell you how great you look in their products - they're trying to sell it to you!  None of them are genuine!  The one person you mention was just not such a good actor as the others.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

she was just trying to be nice, she didnt mean anything bad by it

• 2 months ago

Yes, you were rude.  You were not wrong, just rude.  As others have pointed out -- and you already know -- the sales associates are compensated based on selling you merchandise.  If you think you look good, you're more likely to buy or buy more, right?  It's part of a salesperson's job, and probably part of their training.

In the future, if you don't want insincere flattery, just say "I'd rather be left on my own to shop," or "I appreciate your efforts, but I won't be swayed."  Or, shop online.

There is never a good reason to be rude. 

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I have worked in a dress shop.  I don’t say that looks awful on you. But I will say let’s try something else. Or I think the first dress look great in you.  And mean it.  I don’t get paid on commission.  I didn’t need to talk someone into buying a garment that doesn’t work for them.   I don’t think sales people at Forever 21 work on commissions. My job is to find something that does look good on you, 

If you told me I don’t think you seem genuine I would back off too.  And make sure the other sale people didn’t offer any positive comments to you.  Some customers don’t want help. 

Reading other posts.  I have worked in bridal sales and a dress shop and upscale children’s clothing store.  We don’t try to sell something that does not  work for the customer.  I have never had a store manager tell us to do anything of the sort.  We don’t say that looks fabulous when it doesn’t. I will speak up if I see a color that does look great on them. Or they try on something that looks perfect on them, It is my job to know our stock and find something that fits and looks good on the customer. 

Forever 21 is a low end clothing store. They probably have younger staff and a high turn over. So they are not experienced.

Perhaps her tone sounded like she had said the same thing all day long. Her backing off was the appropriate thing to do.  She should not argue   with the customer or try to defend herself.  

You made it clear you did not value her opinion.  It sounds like you said it in the best way possible. 

Personally as a customer myself I would just of ignored her. Or said, eh, I don’t like it, but thanks.  

• 2 months ago

Anytime anyone says something that can profit them, as in you buying a dress based on the advice of someone who has weekly sales quotas, you should be wary of the motivation of that advice. I would rather you told her "be objective or don't comment at all".

• Mandy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

They’re trying to sell you something.  Not be genuine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.