promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

When do I check my blindspots? (Driving in the UK)?

Hi I was just wondering when you should check your blindspots, i know you should when moving from a parked position or when you are about to pull into a parking bay, but where else would you need to check. I assume you need to check when changing lanes as well, but does this also count for roundabouts and carriageways/motorways etc.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Driving in the UK is a red herring. Driving anywhere, you need to be aware of everything around you at all times. You should be continuously scanning your mirrors, always, while maintaining good focus on the road ahead and behind you, as well. This is because you never know when you might need to make an emergency maneuver. You are driving straight down the road. There is a car beside you, slightly behind you. But you aren't aware of the other car, because you haven't checked your mirrors in a while. Suddenly a kid on a bike rolls out into the road in front of you. You can't stop, you must swerve. Which way do you swerve? If you have to check your mirrors before reacting, the kid is toast...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • George
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You look whenever there might be a hazard in a position that could cause you to have an accident, in other words, all the time.

• 2 months ago

the correct answer is ..all the time ...even then you can get caught out ..i was pulling away from being parked outside my house ..looked in front ..looked back ..two cars coming ..waited till they were pass me ..indicated and started to pull away ..never noticed there was a car in the sideroad opposite my house pulling out at same time !..he was not in my mirrors 

• 2 months ago

Yes, changing lanes on roundabouts and carriageways/motorways or having merging traffic on those kinds of roads is when checking mirrors and blind spots is crucial. Just make sure that your scan doesn't take your eyes away from looking forwards for more than a split second. At highway speeds such as 90 Km/Hr, you are covering 25 meters per second.

A lot can happen in 25 meters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.