17 and only a few friends? Social life is boring and depressing?

Ok so, I'm 17 years old and just about to go into my 2nd year of sixth form.. For the last year since I left main school I've drifted apart so much from all my friends, now at sixth form there's only really me and my best friend, I do love having a best friend but we never really seem to go out much,... show more Ok so, I'm 17 years old and just about to go into my 2nd year of sixth form..

For the last year since I left main school I've drifted apart so much from all my friends, now at sixth form there's only really me and my best friend, I do love having a best friend but we never really seem to go out much, yeh we talk every day and are around each other all the time at school, honestly I'm lost without her, and I know we'll always be friends, it's just that she's so wrapped up in her family life that we never really do anything, unlike most other people with their best friends.

I don't really talk much to anyone in school, there's this massive group but they're all so bitchy, and I really dislike them, I used to be friends with some but we've drifted apart.
I do talk to these two guys who I would say are my friends, but only really in school like I wouldn't see them out of school or anything, maybe send them the odd text.
Basically, I want to talk to more people at school, It's just I've been at the same school for 6 years and if I randomly start talking to people I've never spoken to before its going to look like I'm using them..

I have one really good other friend who I've known all my life, but she's abit older than me so we don't see each other as often as I'd like.
I have two other friends from school but they don't go to the same sixth form as me anymore, and I feel us drifting apart more and more, one I see every half term, the other I haven't seen for so long.

I'm super shy and feel so awkward around people, when I'm around family I'm a completely different person, honestly I'm super confident and I feel fine, but as soon as I'm around new people or at school I go into this shell that I can't seem to break!

I want to start talking to more people, I always see people my age on social networking sites and they look like they're having such an awesome time this summer, and then there's me, basically just hanging out with my mum..

I just don't know what to do and feel so helpless and if I'm honest pretty depressed about it.. I really want some friends so I can start going out and doing stuff!
Haven't really had a proper boyfriend either which is expected really.

What can I do to break this and give myself some more confidence?

Thanks guys!
6 answers 6