I haven't spoke to my father in 6 years, I don't know what to do?

it's hard to talk about this so I'll make it short and simple: my dad treated my mom poorly, cheated on her, didn't spend enough time with me or my bros and sis. then after my mom divorced his *** he acted like "what did I do?" never took responsibility, never appologized to my mom,... show more it's hard to talk about this so I'll make it short and simple:
my dad treated my mom poorly, cheated on her, didn't spend enough time with me or my bros and sis. then after my mom divorced his *** he acted like "what did I do?" never took responsibility, never appologized to my mom, remarried (while my mom is stile single) and now has a new life with his wife and her kids... I quit talking to him and haven't seen him for 6 years, I became an alcoholic (7 years)and now I've sobered up and he has sent me a card about once a year around christmas guilt tripping me over not seeing him and I live in a town that's small enough I will end up running into him and the awkwardness will surely suck..

I sorta want to make contact with him again and explain why I haven't talked to him but he's so dense I don't think he will understand or he might even get defensive if I tell him what I think, I don't want to make a scene but I don't want to just pretend it's alright either... I thought about saying something like "I didn't take the divorce well and seeing you made things worse, I became an alcoholic but now I've sobered up..." see that's wrong!, I just don't know what to say.. but I feel like now it's time to say/do something. help, please.
Update: jc wrote "Go see your dad. And don't put it off any longer. And don't blame your alcoholism on the "divorce". Grow up and be responsible for your actions. I'm sorry that you grew up in a troubled environment; but there are two sides to every story. There could have been reasons... show more jc wrote "Go see your dad. And don't put it off any longer.
And don't blame your alcoholism on the "divorce".
Grow up and be responsible for your actions.
I'm sorry that you grew up in a troubled environment;
but there are two sides to every story. There could have been
reasons unkown to you that you Dad behaved the way he did."

grow up and be responsible for MY actions? I didn't blame alcoholism on him and you tell me to grow up and be responsible for MY actions!?? maybe there's another side to the story maybe there is a reason why HE CHEATED ON MY MOM OVER AND OVER!!? I come to here in good faith putting a question out to complete strangers about something that is too hard for me to talk about, how my dad was a sorry POS to his family and I am trying, God helkp me trying to fix things after all these year when he has done nothing but cause pain for me and my family and YOU try to make me feel bad about it?? what the **** is wrong with you!!!??
11 answers 11