I haven't paid any of my credit card bills in over 4 years, what happens to them if I never file bankruptcy?

Back in 2003, I got in WAAY over my head and stopped paying my credit card bills. I had planned on filing for bankruptcy, but couldn't afford it. It's been years now, and some people have told me that everything eventually just comes off your credit report after seven years, or something like that. ... show more Back in 2003, I got in WAAY over my head and stopped paying my credit card bills. I had planned on filing for bankruptcy, but couldn't afford it. It's been years now, and some people have told me that everything eventually just comes off your credit report after seven years, or something like that. Believe me, I'm not proud of it, and there's also no way on Earth possible that I could start paying them now, not even a little bit. In 2010 if I have NO further debts than the ones that I stopped paying in 2003, won't my credit be empty again? As in, I would have no credit as opposed to bad credit?
Update: I HAVE had letters sent with court dates in them, and I just never went, I know I sound like a really bad person, but I'm not, I just couldn't handle the debt, and figured if I ignored it long enough, it would go away. I moved to another state back in January, and never gave a forwarding address, so I... show more I HAVE had letters sent with court dates in them, and I just never went, I know I sound like a really bad person, but I'm not, I just couldn't handle the debt, and figured if I ignored it long enough, it would go away. I moved to another state back in January, and never gave a forwarding address, so I haven't gotten any mail since then (it's rather liberating, actually!), and I'm starting to wonder what's going on. I applied for a card to get 10% off @ the store, and the denial letter sent to me said I was denied because I had charge-offs, amongst other things. I hate this, if I hadn't been bombarded with credit cards when I was young (18-22), I would probably have much better credit, which with bad credit, I've even been denied a job! It really messes with your life, and there's no do-overs. =(
Update 2: Not for one red second do I blame anyone but myself for the credit mess I've gotten myself into. And the banks and creditors can do whatever they want, when I was 23 I had a new car, owned a house, nice things, now I'm 27, and don't have a car, house or bank account, like I said, they don't even... show more Not for one red second do I blame anyone but myself for the credit mess I've gotten myself into. And the banks and creditors can do whatever they want, when I was 23 I had a new car, owned a house, nice things, now I'm 27, and don't have a car, house or bank account, like I said, they don't even have an address for me, I have a good job, and I've held it for quite some time, and no one has ever touched a paycheck, or sent anything to the address listed on my employment tax forms, also I have recieved a tax return each year I've worked in my life, no one has garnished these. All my debts are limited to CC & Dr. bills. Nothing else.
11 answers 11